Sunday, February 19, 2012

Laemmle's Grande farewell

Laemmle's Grande 4-plex movie theater in Downtown Los Angeles has been closed a couple years...preemptively self-sacrificed in the face of the mighty Regal Cinemas at LA Live. This was a sunken theater, tucked along Figueroa Street in a part of Downtown that turns ghost after business hours.

I attended a conference last week at the Marriott Hotel sitting atop the Grande theater, so I took a look at the old box. I'm not sure why, and speaking of sunken theaters, this is where I watched Titanic in 1997. Big movie, small screen. At least it stuck around for at least another ten years to show Wandering Bitch Ass, September Issue, Bright Star, and Zombieland.

 

 

1 comment:

pneyu said...

I saw the 2nd X-Files movie there (and maybe some others prior). Two notes: There was exactly one other person in the theater, and I spilled most of a Coca Cola on my jeans. I'll remember the Laemmle as the site of one of the better photos I've snapped:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pneyu/2731302424/