Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day 22 - And then I went to the movies...





Atlanta:

BaddicusFinch and I rather like going to presidential libraries, especially for the squished pennies. At President Carter's Presidential Library, however, not a flat copper was to be found. The museum exhibit consisted of several films, photographs, his Nobel Peace Prize medallions and various other intimate gifts presented to Carter and his wife Rosalynn. After my time at Clinton's library, comparable to boarding the U.S.S. Enterprise but with better CGI, Carter's cozy library pales in glitz and presentation. I have to say, though, out the presidential libraries I've seen (Reagan, Nixon, Kennedy, Clinton), this has the nicest, most genuine feeling of the bunch. The man's four years in office were admittedly less than stellar, but his accomplishments post-presidency exceeded those of other recent presidents. He certainly deserved the Nobel.

I was right there for the opening at 9am, so I finished early. I headed on to Martin Luther King, Jr.'s boyhood neighborhood and took pictures of his house alongside a throng of people. A strikingly beautiful woman of about fifty came up to me and asked, "Don't you feel weird?"

I said in a nice speech, "Yeah. He's a martyr and a great symbol for equality."

"No," she said. "Don't you feel weird that you're the only non-black in the neighborhood?"

I laughed. What a stupid question. "Nope. Didn't cross my mind." Then I understood that I was the only non-black visitor, but coming from L.A., being a minority was no big deal.

Next I drove around downtown taking pictures of buildings, looking for the High Museum of Art by Richard Meier and added on by Renzo Piano. There were tons of buildings I took pictures of but it was so damn hard. No parking means snap and go and my windshield was splat-obscured. When I could park, however, I took my time and lingered around the buildings.

Building overload beset me so I set off to the movies. I chose Karate Kid just because, and I was glad I did. There were about 20 people in the theater and when the action hit the ceiling all 20 of us were hooting and clapping. I though such things only happened in L.A. What a fun day so far.

On my way home, I stopped to replenish my water, bread, and ice supplies. I even found Nutella spread...yum...that will last me a while. Before hopping on the freeway back to my motel, I kept debating whether or not to stop by the Margaret Mitchell House. I didn't want to at first because she longed for the olden days when she was alive...and that Scarlet O'Hara was a greedy, selfish, alcoholic (although I really liked watching the movie when I was I kid). In the end I parked across the street from the museum/home and took a picture. I was going inside but I was afraid someone would scream at me and say, "I don't know nuthin' 'bout birthin' no baby!"

Tomorrow I'm off to Montgomery. Everything will be closed - 4th of July. Great time explore the city. No traffic.