Monday, December 15, 2008

Go home

I heard a radio report today about Mayor Blanca Figueroa of South El Monte. For whatever idiotic reason, the City Council didn't think kindly about the looong working hours she clocked, so last Tuesday night the Council approved an ordinance forcing all employees to go home by 11 p.m.

This reminds me of my days with a union job as a State of California employee. Quitting time was 5 p.m., but from time to time I'd stay a little longer to wrap things up. Before long the union rep took notice and gave me The Talk. "You have to stop working right at 5, pal. You're making the rest of us look bad." She wasn't pulling my leg.

What a nightmare. I had management on my case for getting to work late, and the union after me for not leaving on time! I'm so glad I don't work there anymore...no wonder all the lifers were nuts.

No comments: