Sunday, June 20, 2010

Day 9 - Neck is aching...boo hoo




Memphis:

What an exhausting day. The welts on my arms convinced Motel 6 of the error of their ways, and the front desk chief offered a two-night refund. I kinda felt bad, but I sure don't want anyone else getting eaten by bugs. I also wrote corporate and let them know that if they'd like to see pix of bugs near the toilet and angry bites on limbs, just let me know.

Around nine I made it to the Crater of Diamonds State Park that Ray had told me about. Would've gotten there sooner if the GPS hadn't sent me to the heart of the woods for my second off-roading adventure. The drive from Little Rock took two hours and the temperature was already pushing 100 degrees. On the field it spiked to 107. I rented my gear and watched the ranger explain how to find diamonds and to spot fakes. I toiled and sweated for hours but found nothing but pebble. Sorry, Ramon. You don't get your 10 carat.

Drove five hours to Nashville after my sweat bath and arrived at the Civil Rights Museum just before closing. The museum occupies the old Lorraine Motel where Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated, and a wreath had been placed on the guard rail in front of Room 306. For such a sad subject, this was an excellent memorial - especially since the MLK Memorial Foundation converted the building across the motel where the shooter was positioned into an extension of the museum.

I loved Witness, the film they showed about Reverend Abernathy's firsthand account of MLK's last moments. Abernathy felt he had been with King for a purpose - to be a witness to his death so no lies could be perpetuated...like a lover murdered him or his allies plotted against him. Very powerful. I'm super tired though so I'm going to stop. Tomorrow, Nashville. Exciting...


No comments: